Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Summer Read

A lot of people have been asking me books to read for the summer. If you asked me on the spot, I wouldn't able to give you one right away since there is a jumble of books in my mind ever since I started to be a book worm. I decided to take some time think about it. I spent time staring at my own personal library (I like to call it a library even though it's basically just shelves), remembering every story and every character that comes with the title. So now, I present to you a list of series, authors and books that made it to the top of my list:

Series
We know there's Harry Potter, Twilight and Hunger Games. The fact that these books are turned into movies prove that they are nothing but a great read. But there are also other amazing series out that the movie industry haven't touched yet.


Gallagher Girls Series - Out of all the books I read and all the series I finished, The Gallagher Girls Series still and will probably always be the series closest to my heart.  I've practically read the series five times or even more. It embodies a girl's courage and bravery, a powerful friendship that can withstand anything, a mother's great love for her daughter, one of the best and most kilig love stories ever told and constant adventure. Girls, I tell you, do not pass out on this series.


Prophecy of the Sisters Series - This is the first ever suspense/thriller book I've ever read. The series started out when I was 15 and was still a scaredy-cat. Back then, I wouldn't read it if it was pass 6 pm already. Sometimes I can't help but laugh at my old ways. The series is not scary at all, it is gripping, suspenseful and unpredictable. It's unique story will keep you reading until the wee hours of the morning, trust me.


Heist Society Series - With the same author as the Gallagher Girls series, you can't help but notice a similarity between the two. What I like about it is that even though it's an entirely different story, it has the same feel as the Gallagher Girl series - a heroine, a love story, a quest. 


Divergent Trilogy - I originally did not want to read this book because of it's cover. It's not inviting or creative or even girly. But this is the book I'm currently reading. I just started a while ago and I'm almost halfway through. The reason why it made my list even though I haven't finished reading it yet because according to rumors, it is the next Harry Potter-Twilight-Hunger Games. And even though I'm just on chapter 11 out of 39 chapters, I can't help but agree. Something tells me this series is something I won't easily forget.

Authors 
I thought I will never outgrow my love for YA books. Adult books are mostly about realistic and serious love stories. The reason why I love reading books because it's a great escape to reality. But since I have to become an adult eventually, here are three authors that I trust when it comes to adult books.


Nicholas Sparks - I am on a quest of finishing all 16 Nicholas Sparks books. I've finished 11 now. This goes without saying that he is my favorite author. People ask me why I read Nicholas Sparks when all of his books are depressing and most of the characters end up dead.Yes, Nicholas Sparks write tragedies. But more often than not, I see his books as modern and realistic Disney stories wherein after everything that the characters go through, you will see that the miracle of love can bypass and overcome the most sad and tragic circumstances.. even death. There is something comforting with his writing. And no, it is not in all his books that the main characters die. Infact, I've read two wherein no one dies AT ALL.


 Sophie Kinsella - You probably all know her as the writer of Confessions of the Shopaholic. I haven't read that yet though. But the Sophie Kinsella books I suggest is Twenties Girl and The Undomestic Goddess. Sophie Kinsella finds a way to inject magic, adventure and unique happenings in the most common and ordinary events.


Cecelia Ahern - The books I've read from Cecelia Ahern, Love, Rosie and The Book of Tomorrow, are exact opposites. The Book of Tomorrow is a simple story, that's is why I cannot figure out why I cannot stop reading it. It's story has the power to pull and engross its readers. Love, Rosie, on the other hand, is the most candid and distinctive love story I have ever read. It has a heart-tugging ending and it shows you that no matter what happens or no matter how long it takes, in the end, if you're meant to be, you'll always find your way back to each other.

Individual Books 


Here are a few other stand outs: Love, Loss and What I wore by Ilene Beckerman, The Dream Maker's Magic by Sharon Shinn, Le Petite Four by Regina Scott and Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen.

Back in high school, I'd try top the number of books I've read every summer. But since summer takes an entirely different meaning in college, I didn't get to do it anymore. But this summer, I decided to make my summer reading list:

  1. Out of Sight, Out of Time - Ally Carter
  2. Divergent - Veronica Roth
  3. Circle of Fire - Michelle Zink
  4. Elixir - Hilary Duff
  5. If I Stay - Gayle Forman
  6. My Name is Memory - Ann Brashares
  7. I've Got Your Number - Sophie Kinsella
  8. The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen
  9. Before Ever After - Samantha Sotto
  10. The five Nicholas Sparks books I still haven't read
Phew! This is post is long, I spent two hours writing it! Sorry for that. Anyway, I hope the list I shared was enough to get you through summer! Share your summer reading list with me? :)

Love, Paola <3

No comments:

Post a Comment