The fan girl in me was pretty much satisfied with the movie adaption of Catching Fire. It's been getting so many good reviews from both readers and non-readers of the HG Trilogy! So many friends have been telling me how awesome it was! However, it is still not at par with the level of the book. I looooooooooooooooved the book extremely!!!! It was my favorite out of the three HG books and I think it was very unique, well planned and plotted well. All the characters shown with their back stories and personalities! This is where Katniss and Peeta's love story developed the most. So if you really loved the movie, then the book will make you all the more crazy for it! But for those who are not interested in reading the series, here are 6 vital scenes that were not shown in the movie:
1. Katniss and Peeta's numerous sleepovers because of their nightmares. This was briefly shown in the movie, during their Victory Tour but non-readers don't know how much Katniss depended on Peeta because of her nightmares since it is only when Peeta's beside her that she can sleep peacefully. After their Victory Tour, when they were back in their own homes and sleeping alone, she wanted Peeta beside her.
2. Plutarch Heavensbee hinting at Katniss on what the arena would be like. As for those who didn't get it, Plutarch Heavensbee is not a bad guy. In fact, during their Victory Tour at the capitol, Plutarch danced with Katniss (as scene in the movie) and showed her his clock, which eventually helped Katniss understand what the arena was later on.
3. Bonnie and Twill's journey to District 13. Once in the forest, Katniss met mom and daughter, Bonnie and Twill who are running away to District 13. They gave Katniss the idea that District 13 might not be really gone.
4. The explanation of the Quarter Quells and what it really means. This was one of my favorite parts in the book! I was completelyy blown away with this twist! In the movie though, it was done in an anticlimatic way. Quarter Quells are special Hunger Games done every quarter with a story and reason behind it.
5. Katniss and Peeta watching Haymitch's video of the 50th Quarter Quell. Some people might not even get that Haymitch is a Victor which means who participated in the games before. However, he's not just a Victor, but a Quarter Quell Victor of 50th Hunger Games, wherein there were twice as many players (see no.4). This showed a back story on Haymitch and how we won the games. Like Katniss and Peeta, Haymitch allied with the District 12 girl representative, Maysilee and how he tried to save her.
6. Katniss and Finnick playing a prank on Peeta. AHHHHHHH Finnick was my favorite character in the ENTIRE series!!!! I did love Finnick in the movie but I think he needs to be more sassy, more flirtatious. And this was one of my favorite scenes in the arena, where Finnick and Katniss were having fun! What the movie failed to show was that the arena was not all pure violence and catastrophes but the tributes did have fun and Katniss and Peeta shared special moments with the other tributes!
7. Mag's backstory. Mags was the old lady from the same district as Finnick. In the theatre, so many people were laughing at Mags everytime Finnick would carry her, and I felt a little defensive. Mags volunteered for Annie, the girl with mental problems and Finnick's love interests, she sacrificed herself for Peeta back in the fog and she was also Finnick's mentor. She deserved waaaaay more credit than what the movie gave her!
There you have it! Of course, there are still much more details that were not presented in the movie, and characters that weren't magnified as much! Catching Fire is an amazing book and if you loved the movie, I suggest you read it! Afterall, that's the only way to become a real, true to heart Hunger Games fan!