Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Difference of Sympathy and Empathy

I've never realized how much difference sympathy and empathy can mean until now. The recent typhoon Yolanda taught me that. My grandma is staying at her province, Suluan, for more than a year now. It's a small island that takes an hour of boat ride from Guiuan. Since Eastern Samar was greatly ravaged by the typhoon, we haven't had contact with her for a few days. And since it's such a small island separated by sea from the main island, the government, news teams and other organizations have no means of reaching it yet. My family was plagued with worry for a few days but thankfully, yesterday, we heard news that everyone from that island is okay, despite its devastation. 

I've always sympathized with those people who were victims of strong typhoons in the past since it's such a frequent calamity in the country. But only now do I truly understand how they feel. Although Manila was almost untouched and we are all safe, experiencing helplessness and worrying for Nanay made me realize how hard it had been for those people. Suddenly, their pains and struggles became much more personal. Just thinking of how many more people out there are suffering right now without food, water, home, electricity and some even loved ones is completely heartbreaking. It's no longer sympathy, but empathy I feel - a personal understanding and not mere pitying. My prayers go out to all the victims of this tragedy and to all families who, like us, lost contact with their relatives. 

While shooting this outfit, I was lucky enough to witness a beautiful sunset and looking at it kind of reminded me of my favorite quote: "The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God cannot protect you."
 Top - Details || Skirt - Stradivarious || Necklace - Aldo || Flats - Topshop

Love, Paola

No comments:

Post a Comment