Sunday, November 17, 2013

Allegiant Book Review and Divergent's First Trailer

My initial thought on this much awaited book? Well, it was a whirlwind of crazy events put together in an attempt to create a coherent plot then finished off with a disastrous ending. I've finished Allegiant a few weeks back but decided to postpone the review for awhile just so I could let the intensity of my feelings waver. The last book was not spectacular. I never knew that one book could contain that much betrayal, conivance and uprising. It was harder to finish the book compared to Divergent and Insurgent which I only finished for a day and loved dearly. I was super duper excited for this book but it turned out to be a disappointment. 

Plot: (2/5) So much has happened that I don't even know what the exact plot is. It just didn't work for me that the goals of the main characters kept on changing. The story seemed so inconsistent. 

Writing and Execution: (2/5) I've heard from other people that they didn't like the switching POVs from Tris and Four. It didn't really bother me, I think that at some point, it was effective but it really does take a while to get used to Four's POV. As for the execution, I think that the story itself was pretty brilliant and ambitious but it just wasn't delivered well. 

Characters: (1/5) This is where it gets worse :( I think that the characters, especially Four, has lost their initial characteristics. I think that Four's character was ruined in this book. I've known him to be a level-headed, brave leading man who'd do anything for Tris. He started losing those at one point in the story. And I'm also not for Tris' final decision. She was against a very important decision, but in the end, she ended up resorting to that anyway.

Cover: (3/5) I've never liked the trilogy's cover in the first place. I wasn't convinved about reading Divergent at first because I didn't like the cover but I've heard some really awesome reviews about it so I read it anyway. But I guess Allegiant's cover was okay.

Overall rating: (2/5)

Despite my disappointment in Allegiant, Divergent still stays at my favorite book list and it's still one of the best books I've read in the dystopian genre. Its movie is coming out on March 2014. First, I wasn't very thrilled with the cast but when I saw the trailer, I think that Shaileen Woodley was casted perfectly for Tris. The recent trailer also showed that they pretty much got the essence of the book - the simulation, the initiation and all. I'm very excited about this although I'm still not feeling Theo for Four's character. I think that the Four in my head is still so much better. But I love that they casted Kate Winslet for Jeanine Matthews!!! I hope this turns out to be a pretty good movie. Summit is producing it and I'm willing to forgive them for ruining the Twilight Saga if they do an awesome job with this one! Check out the trailer! 




Love, Paola

No comments:

Post a Comment