Friday, November 8, 2013

Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella

Last weekend, we were at Newport Theater to catch Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. It's only my second time visiting that theater but I really like it for its world class level. I was excited to watch a theater play after quite a while since a long time ago, I thought I was in love with theater and tried theater acting over one summer. Much to my disappointment, acting is not my thing. I turned to be one awkward goofball with a really soft voice. Though my love for theater never waivered! Even if I can't be in a play, I still appreciate a good one! And Cinderella, though different from the Disney version and far from the Grimm Brothers version (the only two versions I know), was a delight to watch!
Cinderella's leads are Karylle and Christian Bautista with Julia Abueva, Justine Pena and Fred Lo as alternates. We were able to catch Christian Baustista and Julia Abueva's performance. We were hoping for the two main leads but I figured that all five them must be equally good anyway! 
It brought back a few childhood memories when I was in my Disney princess days since Cinderella was my favorite Disney princess back then. I'm sure all little girls would feel the same way since after the show my cousin and I were both on a giddy, nostalgic post-show attachment!
I wish I knew the songs, though! I can't help but compare it to The Sound Of Music when every song was a joy to hear since I know its soundtrack by heart. But all in all, it was a really good and entertaining play with amazing actors and singers and awesome set design! Like most major theatrical plays, taking pictures are not allowed and its something I'm grateful for since for sure I would've just concentrated on taking pictures rather than really absorbing the story if it were allowed! 
So happy that more and more plays like these are being shown in the country with local casts! Maybe we could have our own version of Broadway  someday. Speaking of Broadway, now I can't wait for Wicked!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Love, Paola 

No comments:

Post a Comment